‘Harassed’ soldier died in barracks for three weeks after ‘army failed him’


A damning report has revealed that a young soldier who lay dead for three weeks in his barracks before being discovered has been rejected by the military.

Lance Corporal Bernie Mongan’s body was found in January 2020 after commanders and colleagues failed to notice his disappearance.

A shocking report has now revealed 45 errors in Bernie’s care and his grieving wife believes he might still be alive today if someone had been watching him.



Lance Corporal Bernard Mongan’s devastated widow Beth now has to raise her three daughters on her own

The Sunday Mirror revealed the story of the scandal surrounding the 33-year-old’s death last year, brings back the Mirror.

His widow Beth, 31, said: “It is clear that he felt bullied, it was not properly investigated, his mental health suffered, he told the workers. people he was afraid of and he was not properly controlled the days before his death.

“If these checks had been done properly, we might not be here now. “

Bernie, classified as vulnerable, was found in his bedroom at Catterick Barracks, North Yorks, in January 2020.



He had already been attacked by two soldiers

A senior non-commissioned officer was assigned to contact him daily during the Christmas break.

But the investigation revealed that he had spoken to Bernie once, telling him to make contact if there were “any problems.”

The failures date back to 2007, when Bernie returned from Iraq with the Irish Guards.

Did you know that you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send out a morning and noon newsletter every day covering the latest headlines.

We also send out coronavirus updates at 5 p.m. on weekdays and a summary of the week’s must-see stories on Sunday afternoon.

Registration is simple, easy and free.

You can put your email address in the registration box above, click Subscribe and we’ll do the rest.

You can also subscribe and view the rest of our newsletters here.

He was due to have an interview to assess his mental health, but the document says that never happened.

Bernie left the military in 2012, but joined in 2015, later moving to the 1st Military Intelligence Battalion.

In 2016, Bernie reported that he had attempted suicide. The rules say it must be reported to the Royal Military Police – but it never happened.

In October 2018, he suffered a fractured orbit when he was beaten by two soldiers from another unit.

A victim support officer should have been appointed, but was not.



The Sunday Mirror revealed the scandal surrounding the death of the vulnerable war hero

That same year, Bernie felt intimidated by two senior soldiers, but the rules regarding complaints were not followed. At Christmas 2019, he stayed at the camp.

When he didn’t attend a briefing, no one checked him.

Beth and their three daughters did not learn he was dead for three days because details on next of kin were out of date. Beth is pushing for more responses and has launched a fundraising page to cover legal fees.

Lawyer Emma Norton, of the Center for Military Justice, said: “Bernie’s wife is devastated. All the evidence points to another serious failure. “

Brigadier Edward Chamberlain, Army Personnel Services Group, said: “We are so sorry. Well-being is essential at all levels.

“We have failed and we apologize. We will implement all recommendations to ensure that an incident like this does not happen again.”

Don’t miss the latest news from across Scotland and beyond – Sign up for our daily newsletter here.


Comments are closed.